I am a north-American artist and craftsman, born 1949 in Massachusetts / USA. I had spent my childhood at the family-farm and
started with painting (oil and watercolor) at age 10.
From 1970 - 1980 I used to live in Toronto, Canada, made a living as a handyman, as a surveyor and as a painting artist.
My art-studio at a big old warehouse at the High Park District was also used as a showroom for my exhibitions.
1975 - 1986 my artwork (-mostly oil- and watercolor paintings) was sold within Canada, to Europe, to Japan and within the USA.
In 1980 I moved back to the USA, to San Francisco in California. At the San Francisco Bay Area I resided for the following 28 years.
Several exhibitions took place at cafés / restaurants, mostly at the Potrero Hill and at the Castro district in San Francisco.
In the 90th I had an art-studio for several years on Bryant Street, at the Mexican influenced Mission district - with public studio walks and exhibitions.
Additionally I worked as a self-employed handyman/painter and restored old furniture.
During the years 2001 - 2008 I extended my creative work:
I built unique garden furniture - out of driftwood, collected at the beaches of the pacific ocean near San Francisco, I designed and built the stage sets of the theatre-pedagogical project 'Behind closed doors' and I painted several murals for customers in San Francisco.
From August 2008 to December 2016 I used to live in Berlin / Germany. My focus was back on painting - at my art-studio, the 'LadenAtelier Brennan' in Berlin-Neukölln / 'Schillerkiez'.
Since January 2017 I live and work outside of Berlin, in the state of Brandenburg.
Some of my artwork deals with social and political topics. Also environmental statements are made in landscapes thru the use of unnatural colors in sky or water.
In general my artwork is a hybrid of expressionism and impressionism; however it is best to classify myself as an expressionist. Many abstract compositions are developed thru experiment and impulse. Composition is developed by contrast and or balance of colors. Form and a sense of change and movement in figurative works are key elements in many paintings. Often I overlay two subjects, either in conflict or in harmony. A paintings composition is often the result of an experimental artistic exploration.
My Berlin- work is colorful; from painting to painting and workgroups style can change. My art has many different subjects and methods.
Sometimes I prefer not to title my paintings, thereby allowing the viewer the opportunity to play with his own imagination. There is a lot to see, to explore and to find within my paintings. I often like to suggest and leave the conclusion up to the viewer. To go further within that process, I can direct the attention of the viewers' thoughts..
I enjoy creating and the sense of accomplishment upon completing a painting.
I have limited formal training, I am self-taught and motivated by pleasure of being creative. Work is fun!
- Kitz Art, art and cultural association Kitzbühel, Kitzbühel / Austria
- Circle Foundation for the Arts, Lyon / France.
- Rise Art, London / United Kingdom.
- Saatchi, London / United Kingdom.
- Kitz Art / City - Gallery Kitzbühel / Austria: August 1st. to August 31st. 2018, exhibition.
EXHIBITIONS, PRESENTATIONS, AWARDS and PUBLICATIONS from 2018 back to 2009:
- Original KunSTücke: May 2018 - Release of the 5th. anniversary- artbook of contemporary artists - included a contribution by WFB.
- J.Mane Gallery: April 2018 - WFB's painting 'At the dog run' was awarded a Honorable Mention Award at the international art- competition 'Abstracts 2018'. The online- exhibition takes place throughout April.
- Light, Space & Time, Online Gallery: February 2018 - At the international art-competition `City scapes 2018 ` WFB's was awarded with Special Recognition for the two paintings `A parade in San Francisco` and `A sunset in Berlin`. The gallery's online group exhibition takes place from February 1st. to February 28th. 2018.
- ART DOMAIN: January 2018 - Nomination for the PALM ART AWARD 2018.
- Circle Foundation for the Arts (CFA): January 2018 - At the international art-competition `Artist of the year 2017 ` WFB received a Honorable Mention Award for his artistic work.
- ART DOMAIN: December 29th. 2017 - Awarded with the PALM ART AWARD - 2nd Chance - 2017.
- Circle Foundation for the Arts (CFA): December 2017 - Release of the SPOTLIGHT magazine - included three artworks by WFB..
- Original KunSTücke: December 2017 - Release of the artbook / works of contemporary artists / orange edition - included an artistic contribution by WFB..
- Circle Foundation for the Arts (CFA): November 2017 - Accepted into the 'Circle Affiliate Artist Program'.
- Light, Space & Time, Online Gallery: October 2017 - At the international art-competition ' Seascapes 2017' WFB's painting 'Memories from San Gregorio, CA' was awarded with a Special Merit Award and the painting 'Impression from Crete' was awarded Special Recognition. The gallery's online group exhibition takes place from October 1st. to October 31st. 2017.
- Light, Space & Time, Online Gallery: September 2017 - WFB's paintings 'Equator' and 'At the dogrun' were awarded with Special Merit Awards at the international 7th. annual 'Open' Art competition. The gallery's online group exhibition will take place from September 1st. to September 30th. 2017.
- ART DOMAIN: August 2017 - Nomination for the PALM ART AWARD 2017 .
- Artist Portfolio Magazine: July 2017 - WFB's painting 'On the jetty' was awarded with Honorable Mention at the international Q2 - Art Competition. Published (2 page spread) in issue 31 of Artist Portfolio Magazine.
- Light, Space & Time, Online Gallery: May 2017 - WFB's painting 'Early March' was awarded Special Recognition at the international art-competition 'Landscapes 2017'. The L.S.T. - online-exhibition will take place from May 1st. to May 31st. 2017
- Artist Portfolio Magazine: April 2017 - WFB's painting 'Nature and History/Crete' was awarded with Honorable Mention at the international Q1 - Art Competition. Published (2 page spread) in issue 30 of Artist Portfolio Magazine.
- Light, Space & Time, Online Art Gallery: March 2017 - WFB's painting 'Bethany' was awarded Special Recognition at the international art-competition 'Figures 2017'. The L.S.T. - online-exhibition will take place from April 1st. to April 30th. 2017.
- Light, Space & Time Online Art Gallery: November 2016 - WFB's painting 'After the storm' was awarded a Special Merit Award at the international art-competition 'Seascape 2016'. The L.S.T.- online-exhibition will take place from November 1st. to November 30th. 2016.
- American Art Awards: September 2016, WFB made the 4th. Place in the category 'Expressionism' with his painting 'Nature and History / Crete'.
- ART DOMAIN: September 13th. 2016, Nomination for the PALM ART AWARD 2016.
- Galerie im Tempelhof Museum: July 15th - August 28th. 2016 - Participation at Group-exhibition at the ' 6. Tempelhofer Kunstausstellung'.
- Art-festival '48 hours Neukölln': June 24th. - June 26th. 2016 - Participation in the catagory: OPEN STUDIO - and solo-exhibition of the artwork 2015 / 2016 - at the LadenAtelier Brennan.
- Internationale Kunst Heute: May 2016 - Release of the artbook 'Internationale Kunst Heute 2016' - included an artistic contribution by WFB and a critique to his work.
- Upstream People Gallery: December 01st. 2015 - WFB's painting 'Slaughter at Wall Street' was awarded Special Recognition at the '2015 Exposition of Small-Sized Artwork WWW International'. The exhibition is online during December 2015.
- Artinnovation Insbruck: November 2015 - Release of the artbook 'Artedition Zeitgenössische Kunst' - included an artistic contribution by WFB.
- Upstream People Gallery: November 01st. 2015 - WFB has received 5 Special Recognition Awards at the '2015 Exposition of Awarded Artwork WWW International". The exhibition is online during November 2015.
- Galerie im Tempelhof Museum: July 2nd - August 30th 2015 - Participation at Group-exhibition at the ' 5. Tempelhofer Kunstausstellung'.
- Light, Space & Time Online Art Gallery: May 2015 - WFB's painting 'Ode to the California Foothills 1' was awarded a Special Merit Award at the international art-competition 'Landscapes'.
- Upstream People Gallery: March 2015 - WFB's collage 'Some days I could scream' was awarded Special Recognition at the annual FACES juried art-competition. The online-exhibition 'FACES' takes place from March 1st - March 31st. 2015.
- American Art Awards: September 2014 - WFB was chosen as a 6th. Place Tie- Winner in the category 'Abstract' with the paintings 'Not Connected' and 'Shoreline at the Presidio'.
- Upstream People Gallery: September 2014 - WFB's painting 'Woman driving to Las Vegas' and WFB's photography 'Self-Study in Clay' were awarded Special Recognition at the annual FACES juried art-competion.
- Light, Space & Time Online Art Gallery: September 2014 - WFB's painting 'Wild Sea' was awarded Special Recognition at the art-competion: 'SeaScapes'.
- Light, Space & Time Online Art Gallery: August 2014 - WFB's painting 'Cat in the garden' was awarded Special Recognition at the art-competion: 'Animals'.
- Light, Space & Time Online Art Gallery: June 2014 - WFB's painting 'Ponderosa Pine' was awarded Special Recognition at the art-competition: 'Landscapes'.
- LeadingArtistsGallery: May 2014 - WFB's painting 'Dawn at the coast of Mendocino' was awarded a Honorable Mention Award at the competition 'Landscapes Near and Far'.
- Light, Space & Time Online Art Gallery: May 2014 - WFB's painting 'The man with his monkey' was awarded a Special Merit Award at the 'Figurative' art-competition.
- ArtQuenchGallery.com: January/February/March 2014 - Several paintings were awarded Special Recognition at the art-competitions: 'Mind, Body and Soul 2013', at 'A New Beginning 2014', and 'Colors'.
- LadenAtelier Brennan: November 2nd. 2013 - Presentation of the artwork 2013.
- Artist Portfolio Magazine: September 2013 - WFB.'s painting 'Wattenmeer' was awarded an Editor's Choice Award at the 2013 Landscape- competition and exhibition.
- World Wide Art Books, INC: August 2013 - Release of the international art-dictionary: 'Important World Artists 1'. WFB.'s painting 'Water's Edge' is included in the book.
- Artist Portfolio Magazine: May 2013 - Photo of WFB.'s painting 'A man with his monkey' at issue 11, page 60.
- LeadingArtistsGallery: January 18th. 2013 - WFB.'s painting 'Water's Edge' was chosen as the 4th Place Award Winner for the LAG.- exhibition "People, Faces and Figures".
- Artist Portfolio Magazine: December 27th. 2012 - WFB.'s painting 'Colosseum/Coliseum' was chosen by A.P.M. as Art of the day!
- LadenAtelier Brennan: November 17th. 2012 - 'Presentation of the artwork 2012'
- Artist Portfolio Magazine: November 12th - full page feature of WFB.'s painting ' Colosseum/Coliseum' at issue 8, page 50.
- Myartcontest.com: Honorable Mention at the international 'Abstract - art contest', 08.18. 2012.
- kARTüche - gallery: June 15th. - June 30th. 2012 - 'Retro-perspective' - One Year kARTüche - A group exhibition of new and yet unexhibited art work by the gallery-artists - Berlin-Neukölln.
- Saatchi, London: Since March 2012 presenting artwork online at www.saatchionline.com/williamfrancisbrennan.
- kARTüche - gallery: 01. 10. to 01. 28. 12 - 'PROCESSION' - a duo- exhibition: Paintings by William F. Brennan and sculptures by Ariel Lo Manno - Berlin-Neukoelln
- FORUM- factory: 11. 15. + 11. 16. 11 - International group-exhibition with 'Neukoellnimport / Berlinimportart' - Berlin-Kreuzberg
- Berlin- Neukölln Art-event 'NachtundNebel' 2011: 11. 05. 11 - Event: 'W.+A.+J.+C. = 'Different to before' - solo exhibition - LadenAtelier Brennan
- Artist Portfolio Magazine: Fall 2011, full page feature of the painting 'Synthetic Wood' at issue 4, Fantasy, page 40.
- Myartcontest.com: First Place- Winner at the international 'Fantasy II - Art Contest, 08.15.11.
- Art-festival '48 hours Neukölln': Event: 'Our one and only treat' - 06. 17. to 06. 19. 11 - two artist's exhibition - LadenAtelier Brennan
- artists.de: Since April 2011 presenting artwork online at www.artists.de
Temporary Art-Window ' W 64 ' : ' Something different ' - 09. 17. to 12. 31. 10 - solo exhibition - Berlin-Neukölln
'Kunsthaus Tacheles' : 11. 13. + 11. 14. 10 - International group-exhibition with 'Neuköllnimport' - Berlin-Mitte
Berlin- Neukölln art-event 'NachtundNebel' 2010: 11. 06. 10 - 'Acrylic + Oil + Tones' - solo exhibition - LadenAtelier Brennan
'The Schillerkiez celebrates Rixdorf' (650 years Neukölln): Summer 10 - Schillermarket at Herrfurthplatz - Berlin-Neukölln
8.Open Air- Gallery 2010: 'Encounter in open space' - 07. 04. 10 - Oberbaum-Bridge - Berlin-Friedrichshain/Kreuzberg
Art-festival '48 hours Neukölln': 'Unwrapped and public' - 06. 25. to 06. 27.10 - solo exhibition - LadenAtelier Brennan
Opening of 'LadenAtelier Brennan': Starting 06. 25.10, all year long changing exhibitions of WFB at the 'LadenAtelier Brennan'
Iberoamerikan. Kulturinitiative Si-halle e.V.: 'World-language Art' - International group-exhibition - 06. 01. to 06. 30. 10 - in Halle/Saale
Art-Window 'El 41': 'Sparks of fantasy' - solo exhibition - 02. 28. to 03. 20. 10 - Berlin-Neukölln
'Toskana Fraktion': 'Over the years' - solo exhibition - 11. 01. 09 to 01. 10. 10 - Berlin-Kreuzberg
'CoachingCulture Gallery/Kindl Brewery: International group exhibition with Neuköllnimport' - 12. 05. + 12. 06. 09 - Berlin-Neukölln
Art-Window 'El 41': Solo exhibition - 12. 01. to 12. 21. 09 - Berlin-Neukölln
Market of the cultures: Summer and fall 09 - Herrfurthplatz, Berlin-Neukölln
Art-market at Mexico-Platz: Fall 09 - Berlin-Zehlendorf
Art-market at the Watertower: Summer 09 - Berlin-Prenzlauer Berg
'Neukoellnimport': Summer 09 - Start of active membership with 'Neukoellnimport'